LET ME COACH YOU FOR FREE!!

Friday, April 6, 2012

The Work You Don't See

I'll be talking to someone about working out, what I did that morning, or what I was eating and sometimes I'll show a photo of one of the women I've met who's had fantastic results doing P90X or Insanity or any one of the programs and ususally, with alarming regularity, I'll hear this:

"Oh, she doesn't have to workout!"

Then I'll see if I can find the persons before photo and get a "That's not the same person," or "What kind of surgery did they have," which usually culminates in "You're a filthy liar!" (I'm not really...I'm quite a clean liar, thank you very much!)

People seem to have a mental block...when they see the photos, or see the woman or man on the beach with the fit physique, that they were lucky or just born that way. They don't realize the hours of work in the gym, with the workout DVD's, the correct eating habits, that allow that girl to wear the tiny bikini and look that good. It's not a case of osmosis. She or he didn't just rub the P90X DVD's all over their bodies and get results.

It was the getting up at 5am so they could fit that workout in before work - the only time they could do it. It was the commitment to eating healthy and right. It was forming the habit of fitness. It was getting into the mindset of just pushing play, or going to the gym.

I suppose "Oh, you don't have to workout." is kind of a compliment.

But really it's all the work you don't see.

Joe

3 comments:

  1. So true. It takes hard work to look good but the hardest part is to just get started. If you keep pusing play, the results will come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many times just showing up is 90% of the battle but once there you never hear, "Gee, I wish I didn't workout!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said Joe! People think those on the beach who are in shape are just genetic mutations, they never have to work, they're aliens that were born, or it's just that they are "skinny people."

    It's none of those things; it's exactly what you said: the work they are doing behind the scenes. It's the sweat, the effort, the commitment.

    You're an example of it my brother. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete