LET ME COACH YOU FOR FREE!!

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Maybe Your Why is Big Enough

Invariably, when you read personal development books or listen to self help tapes (or Mp3s! You young people and your kryptonite-like technology...) the author will get to a part about finding your Why. Why you want to change your life. What's the big reason? Is it life changing? Is it so big you'll lay awake at night consumed by it?

They make you think that it has to be in neon flashing lights, in an insanely garish font about the size of a building, right there guiding you like a lighthouse! This is my WHY!!!

But recently I've had an epiphany of sorts. Maybe your why doesn't have to be all that huge. Maybe your why can be this small tiny little thing that's always in the back of your head. An itch you have to touch. Its not life changing, at least at the moment. Maybe your why just has to be a start. Maybe it can be something like why.

I'm going to let you in on a secret. That tiny why was me. That little thing was why I started on my fitness journey. It's what has led me to lose over 50 pounds and, as of this writing go from a 44" waist to a 35" waist. It's what's let me to be passionate about inspiring and helping others believe that "they can." And it was a tiny, even ridiculous, why. And I can remember it like it was yesterday, even though it's been over 6 years now. Ready?

I got sick and tired of having to pull my man-boob out of the way to look at the iPod on my belt.

That's it. That was the entire reason I started my fitness journey.

Man-boob. iPod. Belt.

That's all.

So my thinking is this. If you have a grand idea, a huge why, that's fantastic. Change your life. Reverse the young deaths of males in your family. Beat diabetes. Don't be obese any longer. Healthy cholesterol. Cure your depression. Be there to walk your daughter down the aisle. Incredible. You can do it. I believe that.

But maybe all you need to start is a tiny little why. Walk up the stairs without huffing and puffing. Fit into those pants. Go on that roller coaster ride.

Just something small. Something small that changes your life. That will change the life of others. That serves to eventually give you a new direction. A little, tiny, insignificant why that leads to massive change.

What was it for me? Funny you should ask.

Man-boob. iPod. Belt.

1 comment:

  1. As Jeff Olson says in "The Slight Edge," it all starts with a penny. That penny can compound into millions, but it starts small.

    Great post Joe!

    ReplyDelete